The Housing Office regulates rental properties in the Borough of Bernardsville by certifying landlords are in compliance with the New Jersey State Minimum Housing Standards.
- You can provide your renters with the Truth In Renting Brochure issued from the New Jersey Department of Consumer Affairs.
- For information on the new Lead Paint Inspection Law. Please visit nj.gov/dca/or see the information in the forms and documents section of this page.
- Ensure all rental properties within the borough are registered
- Perform annual inspections to be sure rental units meet the minimum standards for habitability
- Assist tenants and landlords with any issues regarding code requirements for living standards
Question, complaint, or request?
Use the button below to send your message to the Housing department or your elected officials. We'll make sure it reaches someone who can help. Messages are anonymous unless you supply your email for a reply.
An inspection normally takes between 10-30 minutes, depending on the size of the unit and conditions.
No. The tenant or any adult representative may be present for the inspection.
The fee is $150.00 for each rental unit; this fee includes the registration and the initial inspection. If the property fails the initial inspection the Landlord will be given a list of violations and the property will be re-inspected. If there are still violations at re-inspection, a third inspection will be required; a fee of $250.00 must be paid prior to the third inspection.
- It must be listed, labeled and charged.
- The size shall be no less than 2A:10B:C weighing no more than 10 pounds.
- The mounting hardware supplied by the manufacturer MUST be used.
- The extinguisher must be installed with 10 feet of the kitchen.
- The top of the extinguisher must be no more than 5 feet above the floor.
- The extinguisher must be visible and in a readily accessible location free from being blocked by furniture, storage or other items.
- The extinguisher must be mounted near a room exit, or travel path that provides egress to the exterior.
- The extinguisher must be installed with the operating instructions clearly visible.
Yes. The units will still need an annual inspection, as well as the five year inspection provided by the State Bureau of Housing.